I'm reading this book called Daughters of God by S. Michael Wilcox, and I love what is says about motherhood: "... Eve's role as life-giver is eternal and celestial... Is it any wonder that he [the adversary] has tried to convince both women and men that the temporal labor of the lone and dreary world is more important than the eternal labor of a celestial one?"
I'm glad I'm reading this book now, because I have struggled in my role as mother here in the Netherlands. It was hard for me last week to watch the children each day while Chad went off to work. I was in a strange city without friends and without a schedule. I envied his time away. But then I read this passage and it reminded me how valuable my time is with my children. Sure, it'd be fun to have a job and interact with coworkers and adults each day. But, that's not what I am here for. I am here to teach my kids and revel in motherhood. I am much better now, just so you know :) I have gotten out with the kids. We have been to Church, the library, park, and to music makers. We have made friends! I have adults to talk to and we are all happy. I realize how important it is to have a support group, and I am grateful to have that here in the Netherlands.
With all this being said, I feel like I need to list things I am grateful for, because there are a lot of things!
I am grateful to be in the Netherlands with my family.
I am grateful that I've taken the initiative and gone out and done things with my kids.
I am grateful for google maps.
I am grateful that Chad is enjoying his job and that it is such a great opportunity for him.
I am grateful he has the weekends off and we can explore the city together.
I am grateful we have to leave the country for 10 days for visa reasons in March.
I am grateful this forces us to travel to Morocco!
I am grateful for this apartment we live in.
I am grateful it has a washer/dryer combo, even though it takes forever to do a small load of laundry.
I am grateful I've learned not to put a hot iron on nice wooden floors because it will burn a triangular shape in the wood.
I am grateful we get to go to an English Branch.
I am grateful for the family who just moved back to Utah and gave us their pyrex dishes.
I am grateful for Lincoln.
I am grateful that when he found the floss this morning he did not take all of it out. Only most of it.
I am grateful that he loves his sister so much.
I am grateful that the people in the grocery did not give me dirty looks or judge me when Lincoln threw the biggest tantrum.
I am grateful the people in the library were nice to me when Lincoln knocked many books off the shelves.
I am grateful that I was able to shower this morning after Zalie threw up on me.
I am grateful the kids are no longer coughing and sick.
I am grateful Lincoln only woke up twice at midnight wanting to get up, get dressed, and have breakfast.
I am grateful that both kids are adjusted to the time zone now.
I am grateful Zalie is such a good baby and is ok left on the floor while I take care of Lincoln.
I am grateful the kids don't remember my mistakes and forgive me.
I am grateful to be a mother.
No comments:
Post a Comment